Blood Transfusion Services (BTS) is the vital part of the
modern health care system without which efficient medical
care is impossible. It is a complex organisation requiring
careful designing and management. The aim of a Blood
Transfusion Service (BTS) is to provide effective blood
and blood components, which are as safe as possible and
adequate to meet the patients need. Our department uses
stringent quality control protocols to ensure timely supply
of the safest possible blood and blood components. We also
make a stringent quality control policy which is compliant to
all existing statutory provisions of the Drugs and cosmetic act
1940 and amendments, other directives from Drug Controller
General of India, National Blood Policy, NACO guidelines
on HIV screening and NABH guidelines. Blood is carefully
screened for transfusion transmitted infections (HBsAg,
HBcAb, HCV, HIV I& II- using ELISA Technology along with RPR
and Malarial Antigen Testing).
We receive the donors for blood donation with a warm welcome. Well-trained staff does donor screening, while Donor privacy and confidentiality is maintained at all times.
- Pretest counseling to defer high-risk donors is undertaken.
- Blood bags with prestorage leukoreduction filter are used that provide 3-4 log Leuko reduced blood.
The advantages of leukoreduction include:
- Prevention of Febrile Nonhemolytic Transfusion Reactions (FNHTR)
- Prevention of HLA Allo-Immunization
- Reduction in the transmission of Lymphotropic Viruses such as EBV, CMV and HTLV-I & II.
Our Department is doing 100% component preparation.
- Apheresis (Platelet / Plasma / Red Cell)
Therapeutic Plasma exchange is available for Neurology, Nephrology & Oncology cases.
Therapeutic plasma exchange in ABO mismatch Liver and Kidney Transplants The bags also contain a sample pouch, which diverts first 15-30 ml of blood that is used for testing. This has significantly reduced bacterial contamination of
The sterile connecting device has made it possible for us to provide blood components in parts for fulfilling
Pediatric Transfusion requirements. The various components are prepared in our Blood component preparation laboratory.
Fully automatic component separation facility :
- Fully automatic apheresis platform for plateletpheresis
- Leukodepleted cellular blood components
- NAT (Nucleic Acid Testing): NAT is a method of testing blood that is used for viral screening of Blood Donors. This test is more sensitive than conventional Serology tests that require the presence of antibodies to trigger a positive test result & transfusion safety leading to a significant decrease in residual risk for HIV-1, HCV & HBV.
- Laboratory Services: Immuno-Haematology and Platelet Serology tests providing advanced work-ups for patients. The various tests performed are:
- ABO & Rh (Gel card technique)
- New Born Grouping & DAT (Gel card technique)
- Direct & Indirect Antiglobulin testing (DAT & IAT)
- Type & Screen (3 Cell Panel)
- Extended red cell phenotyping (11 Cell Panel)
- Extended Rh & Kell Grouping
- Compatibility Testing
- Antibody Titration of isoagglutinins (anti-A, B)
- Complete serological evaluation of AIHA (Auto-Immune Haemolytic Anaemia) cases
- Adsorption and elution studies
- Saliva studies for secretor status and to resolve blood grouping discrepancies